Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Natural Playground Part I

The kids have outgrown the swingset.

It's funny how a little thing like a growth spurt can start such a mammoth chain of reaction. Something as simple as a growth spurt has changed my way of thinking and has taken over every waking moment.

My poor husband has the patience of a saint. He just smiles and nods when I tell him about my latest project.

The kids grew too big for the swingset. Oh, they still played on it, but it was getting dangerous and I was afraid they were going to tip it over. "So, let get a trampoline!" I said. But, yikes, our backyard is tiny! There is no room for a trampoline.

I sat the kids down and said, "What do you want to do with the backyard?" Ideas started flying and the next thing I know, we have a list a mile long of things they want to do in the backyard.

I started researching and discovered a wonderful new trend called "natural playgrounds". To my amazement, the kids were already on the road to creating a natural playground in our backyard. We put our heads together and came up with a plan.

Our homeschool curriculum took a backseat yesterday as we enjoyed a day of planning and working in the yard. Our natural playground is far from being finished, but it is well on it's way!

Today, however, we have to get caught up on math and history. I will post more details tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment