Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Yes, I Am A (gasp!) Homeschool Mom

I have a confession to make.

I didn't want to homeschool because I thought homeschoolers were weird.

There. I said it.

(I know, I know, my husband was homeschooled. But you know as well as I do that Kris is a rebel. He enjoys breaking the rules. So he doesn't count. He is not your stereo-typical homeschooler.)

I didn't want to homeschool because I didn't think I could ever be "that" kind of mom. Come on, you know what I'm talking about - the classic "homeschool mom".

I just don't fit the mold. I don't wear denim jumpers. I don't know how to milk a goat. I don't have any sister-wives. I don't think public school is evil. I have two children - not seventeen. I wear make-up. I like tight jeans and black high heels. I would rather listen to Train, Hootie, and Better Than Ezra than KLOVE. I am pretty worldy, by comparison.

When Bailey and Zack were getting close to school age, I changed my mind. There wasn't just one thing that changed my mind, but rather a combination of things. I decided I COULD be a homeschool mom. Maybe not the jumper-wearing, goat-milking, sister-wife kind of homeschool mom, but I could be my own kind of homeschool mom.

Over that past couple of years, I've met several other homeschool families. You can imagine how surprised I was to discover that most homeschool moms around here don't fit the mold, either. They are just normal moms with normal families who have chosen to educate their children at home. No goats, no sister-wives. (OK, well, there WAS that one family in Oklahoma City with one husband, three wives, and lots of babies, but that's another blog post....)

So, don't get me wrong. I have met my fair share of weird homeschool families, but I have also met quiet a few weird public school families. Yup. Anybody can be weird.

What's funny is that they probably think I'm pretty weird, too, with my hip-hugger jeans, hot pink tennis shoes, glittery sunglasses, and loud music.

3 comments:

  1. You are a ROCKIN homeschool mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - I'm having the same issue - really want to homeschool my daughter for K next year and we definitely don't fit the "mold" at all. My friends are completely schocked but we really want to do it so I have to forget what everyone else thinks!Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on the verge of homeschooling my two and I love your description! I remember long ago in high school, there was this girl. She used to ask, what is "normal"? I never saw her a different but I did see how she thought she had to defend her right to have a rat tale and ripped jeans and always a book in her back pocket.
    Weird as you put it is everywhere. That is what makes each one of us different and special.

    ReplyDelete