Sunday, August 15, 2010

Our Homeschool

I have had several people ask me about homeschooling and let me start by saying "I AM NOT AN EXPERT." Even though we have completed a pre-k program, kindergarten, and first grade at home, I still feel like I am just starting out.

Anyway, for those of you who are interested, this is how we homeschool.

We are very traditional. For the most part, we follow a traditional school calendar. We also follow a pretty traditional school day. We start at 9:00, eat lunch at noon, and wrap up our school day around 2:00. (I won't go into all of the details of our day but, if you REALLY want to know what we do every day at, say, 1:23, email me and I'll let you know.)

As far as our course of study, we are pretty traditional in that aspect also. I do not feel like I am completely qualified to write my own curriculum (although I know some homeschool moms who are able to do this brilliantly.) I have always purchased our curriculum. I acquire the Texas State Education Standards every year. When shopping for curriculum, I make sure it meets (and most of the time it exceeds) the Texas State standards. This year we are studying math, phonics, spelling, grammar, literature, map skills, art appreciation, music appreciation, handwriting, health, science, social studies, Bible, creative writing, Korean, and art.

On top of the basics, I asked Bailey and Zack to decide what "special topics" they wanted to study. This is where the fun comes in. These are things they are really interested in. I love the fact that I can teach them what they want to know. This is one of the reasons I think homeschool is a good idea. So, I put together units on Robotics, Nocturnal Animals, Veterinary Science, Hot Air Balloons, Colonies, NASA, Korea, Dog Breeds, Human Anatomy, and Christmas. As the year progresses, we will add to this list of special topics.

For those of you who are concerned about socialization - Bailey and Zack also participate in several extra-curricular activities. We are not isolated homebodies. We are an "on-the-go" kind of family. We have an outside activity to attend every weekday, sports on Saturday, and church on Sunday.

Zack is playing football in the fall and will start basketball in January. He is also in a Lego Club and takes piano lessons from Nanny. He would also like to learn some woodworking. I haven't talked to my dad about it yet so, Pa Pa, if you are reading this, give me a call!

Bailey is taking violin lessons. She is in a girls club called "Keepers of the Faith" and she is taking ballet at The LanDance Conservatory. She is "thinking about soccer." I think we may let her give it a try, but she is about as athletic as I am!

Field trips are another important part of our homeschool. As I said, we do not like to sit at home. We LOVE day trips! We are always looking for an excuse to slip out of town to learn something new. Of course, you can find us at museums and community events in Amarillo, too!

So, this is how we homeschool. It's pretty basic. We are simple people.

One of these days, I'll get around to posting photos of our school room. But right I now, I have to go outside and teach the kids how to make paper from recycled materials. I have a feeling this is going to get messy!

No comments:

Post a Comment