Sunday, January 3, 2010

Donny

I'm almost embarrassed to say that my first crush was Gilligan. Not the professor, but strange, silly Gilligan. I'm not even sure "crush" is the right word. I wasn't gooey in the knees about him, I just thought he was cute and funny. I've always loved men who could make me laugh.

My first real, gooey in the knees, butterflies in the tummy kind of crush was.... (imagine "One Bad Apple" underscoring here)..... Donny. I thought he was dreamy. My tummy would tickle every time I heard "Puppy Love" and to this day I am convinced "Go Away Little Girl" was written just for me (he was 16 years old and had already recorded 2 albums when I was born). My sister had his poster on her door and I would drool over his purple socks.

Later, as my taste matured, I fell head over heels for Bo Duke and Magnum P I, but my first love will always be (...sigh...) Donny.

So recently, after Donny won the coveted Mirror Ball Trophy, I confessed to my family that I used to stand in the hallway and kiss a tiny, little spot on the wall that I pretended was Donny.

This year, my sweet Daddy gave me the most wonderful Christmas gift ever. He went to a lot of trouble to get it and he was one of the first people in Amarillo to buy it on it's release date. It was (drum roll) the Donny Osmond Definitive Collection Cd! Can you believe it?!?!

I was so surprised! I squealed with delight and for just a moment, it was 1979 again and I was standing in the hallway staring at my sister's door and kissing the wall.

Thank you Daddy! You are the best dad EVER!

3 comments:

  1. Every time I read anything you write, I am reminded about how special, sweet and wonderful you are. SOOO glad I get to have you as a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool cool story! Thanks for sharing! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first concert I ever went to was the Osmonds. I loved them all! But Donny was/is just so adorable! I still have a major crush on him!

    ReplyDelete